Cybersecurity has become a significant concern for businesses of all sizes, and with good reason. Cyberattacks can be incredibly costly in terms of money, reputation, and customer trust. Unfortunately, many businesses still overlook the importance of cybersecurity awareness training, leaving them vulnerable to threats. This blog will explore why cybersecurity awareness training is so important and how businesses with an in-house IT department can use an outside IT partner for their cybersecurity awareness training.
Cybersecurity Awareness Training is Vital
As businesses continue to rely on technology to manage their daily operations, they become more exposed to cyber threats. From phishing emails to ransomware attacks, businesses need to have employees who are aware of the latest cybersecurity threats and know how to prevent them. Cybersecurity awareness training can ensure that all employees understand the risks and how to mitigate them.
However, businesses often do not utilize cybersecurity awareness training properly. In particular, this is true for businesses with limited resources or those who believe their IT support team can handle it. It is a significant mistake, as security awareness training is not just a one-time event. It needs to be an ongoing process that keeps employees informed and aware of the latest threats. Training should be done semi-annually or even quarterly.
If a business is not properly trained in cybersecurity, it is vulnerable to a range of cyber attacks. Such attacks can result in a significant loss of sensitive information, damage to the organization’s reputation, financial losses, and legal liabilities. Furthermore, its employees are more likely to fall prey to social engineering tactics, such as phishing scams, which can lead to security breaches. According to research, a majority of cyber attacks are caused by human error, making it essential for businesses to prioritize cybersecurity training for their staff.
The Burden on In-House IT Departments
Handling cybersecurity awareness training can be a significant burden on in-house IT departments. They already have a range of responsibilities, including managing the network, updating software and hardware, and providing support to employees. Adding cybersecurity awareness training to the list can be overwhelming, particularly for smaller IT teams.
In-house IT teams are often responsible for a wide variety of tasks. As such, finding the time to perform cybersecurity awareness training can be difficult, and it can distract them from their day-to-day responsibilities. This can lead to a situation where cybersecurity training is neglected, leaving the company vulnerable to cyber threats.
In addition, many IT teams might not have the expertise or resources to provide comprehensive cybersecurity awareness training. This can be as simple as not knowing about a new cyber attack trend. Consequentially, this can lead to incomplete or ineffective training, leaving businesses susceptible to threats.
A great solution to this problem is co-managed IT support. This approach involves partnering with an outside IT provider to share the responsibility for managing the company’s IT infrastructure. The outside support service can actually be utilized for any number of a business’s IT needs, but for the sake of this particular topic, it would be used for cybersecurity awareness training.
Co-managed IT support has many benefits, including:
- Expertise: IT providers specialize in managing and securing IT systems. Therefore, they have the knowledge and skills to provide comprehensive cybersecurity awareness training.
- Time-Saving: Using a managed IT service frees up internal IT teams to focus on other important tasks.
- Cost-Effective: Utilizing an outside support firm can be more cost-effective than hiring additional in-house staff to manage cybersecurity awareness training.
- Scalability: Co-managed IT support can scale up or down depending on the company’s needs.
- Proactive Support: A high-quality managed service provider offers proactive technical support, ensuring that the company’s IT infrastructure is always up-to-date and secure.
Improving Cybersecurity Training with Co-Managed IT Support
The goal of utilizing co-managed IT support is to significantly improve security awareness training while also taking the stress off the in-house IT staff. IT providers who specialize in cybersecurity have the expertise and resources to provide comprehensive training to employees. This includes educating employees on how to recognize and prevent phishing attacks, the importance of strong passwords, and how to identify and report suspicious activity.
In addition, these support specialist can provide ongoing training and updates to ensure that employees are aware of the latest threats and best practices. This is particularly important, as the cybersecurity landscape is constantly evolving.
Finding the Right Co-Managed IT Partner
Choosing the right co-managed IT partner is essential for businesses looking to improve their cybersecurity posture. When selecting a partner, there are several factors to consider, such as:
- Expertise: Look for a partner with expertise in cybersecurity and a track record of providing effective solutions to businesses.
- Availability: Ensure that the partner is available to provide 24/7 support, as cyber threats can occur at any time.
- Customization: Seek out a partner who can customize their services to meet the specific needs of the business.
- Communication: Ensure that the partner has excellent communication skills and can provide regular updates on the company’s cybersecurity posture.
- Cost: Find a partner who can provide cost-effective solutions without sacrificing quality.
It is vital to choose the right co-managed IT partner for security training. Look for a partner who can provide comprehensive training to employees, including ongoing updates and education on the latest threats.
Tips for Finding the Right Co-Managed IT Partner for Cybersecurity Training
Here are some tips for finding the right co-managed IT partner for cybersecurity training:
- Ask for referrals from other businesses in your industry.
- Research potential partners online, looking for reviews and testimonials.
- Ask for case studies or examples of how the partner has helped other businesses improve their cybersecurity posture.
- Schedule a consultation with potential partners to discuss their services and expertise.
- Look for a partner who is committed to continuing education and training, ensuring that they are up-to-date on the latest threats and best practices.
Cybersecurity training is crucial in today’s digital landscape, where cyber threats are becoming increasingly sophisticated and frequent. It’s not just the responsibility of the IT department; every employee needs to be aware of their role in safeguarding the organization’s data and systems.
We encourage businesses to consider co-managed IT support for their cybersecurity training needs. EVERNET Consulting is well-equipped to provide expert guidance and support in this area, ensuring that your employees are fully prepared to defend against cyber threats. Don’t wait until it’s too late – invest in cybersecurity training today.
At EVERNET Consulting, we are dedicated to helping organizations with their cybersecurity needs. We work diligently to find the solutions that best fit the needs of your business. Whether you’re looking for IT support, software recommendations, or guidance on how to get the most out of your cybersecurity awareness platform, we are here to help. Let’s schedule a discovery call and see how we can help you work smarter, not harder.
Eric is a Business IT cybersecurity advisor, consultant, manager, integrator, and protector who founded EVERNET in 2007. Eric co-hosts a podcast called “Finance and Technology Insights by Brian & Eric” on YouTube. Eric is a regular contributor to the EVERNET blog, writing about the latest technology news and providing his expertise in cyber security prevention and management.